Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Carrot and Moong dal Salad


This is for all the salad haters! yup, I am not a big fan of salads too, but this salad changed my mind. I saw this recipe long time back at http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/, but just passed it cos it looked like the side dish I make with carrots, only difference was all the ingredients were 'raw'. But my husband saw it sometime ago and wanted me to make it, yeah, he likes salads. I was very sceptical about it, becos my past attempt in making a salad with apples, raisins and yogurt on my husband's request was not very successful...lets just say I will not be posting that recipe anytime. But this salad is a keeper. I did very little changes to it. Try it and enjoy. 

Tip: You need at least 15 mins to set the salad. And make sure the dal is cooled completely before adding the carrots. You dont want to wilt them in the heat. 



Ingredients:
  • Moong dal (Split green gram) - 1/4 cup.
  • Carrots - Shredded 2 cups.
  • Coconut - Shredded 1/4 cup. (fresh or dry. If dry, soak it in hot water for sometime and then use it)
  • Cilantro (Coriander) leaves - 2 tblsp, chopped
  • Oil- 2 tsp
  • Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Lemon juice - 2 tblsp 
  • Ginger - 1 tblsp, finely shredded
  • Green Chilli -1/2, finely chopped
  • Salt - 1 Tsp
  • Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
  • Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Steps:
  • Wash moong dal till the water runs clear and soak it for about 2-3 hours. 
  • In a small bowl mix lemon juice, ginger, green chilli, salt, black pepper and sugar to make dressing and set aside.
  • In a pan heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the cumin seeds as seeds crack add the moong dal.
  • Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring continuously. Don’t over cook that will make dal dry.
  • Turn off the heat and remove the pan, let the dal cool.
  • Now mix the carrots, cilantro, coconut and dal and the dressing together really well. I used my fingers ;) its easier to get through the shredded carrots.
  •  Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...