Monday, July 8, 2013

Fresh Bread Crumbs


Bread crumbs is one of those not-so-frequently used ingredients. In the past I used to buy big boxes to make something and would have more than half the box full of bread crumbs sitting in my pantry for months together and finally end up in the garbage. But in the last three years or so I have started making my own bread crumbs with the end pieces of a bread loaf that no one wants to eat or left over pieces of bread. 

Once a loaf of bread gets over I just wrap the end pieces and pop it into the freezer. And when I need bread crumbs I take those end pieces from the freezer and make bread crumbs. It is super easy and its a nice way to avoid wasting precious food.

Ingredients:

Bread - Any kind. (bread ends or old bread, but not spoilt ones) 

Steps:
  •  Toast Bread: Toast bread till brown on  both sides. I use a toaster to do it, its easy and fast. You can also pop the bread into the over at 400F for sometime or use a pan on stove top and toast the bread on both sides till. If using bread from the freezer, let it thaw before you toast it. Or is if toaster has option to toast frozen bread go ahead and toast it directly. 
  •  Grind the toasted Bread: Once the bread is cool, break it into chunks. Use a mixer grinder or food processor to grind the bread chunks into desired texture. If you want it extra dry, just spread the ground crumbs on a baking sheet and bake for couple of mins.
Here's a recipe I used these bread crumbs on  Baked Tilapia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...