Friday, June 7, 2013

Mango Lassi (Mango shake)


You will be surprised to hear that I first had mango lassi in Canada and not in India :) I love yogurt (curd) but never liked the traditional plain lassi. The  thought of sugar and salt in yogurt, nahh, not for me. So I never tried anything termed "Lassi". So when I came to Canada 5 years ago, my husband took me to an Indian restaurant and told me that the place was famous for 'Mango Lassi'. So I reluctantly tried it and fell in love with it. I hope one day I can make my yogurt-hating brother taste my mango lassi :)

There are 2 ways to do it, the traditional way with plain yogurt or my  fool-proof way with Vanilla flavored yogurt. I came up with my way of doing it when my son refused to eat the vanilla yogurt I had bought for him. I had it sitting around for a week when the idea hit me to make mango lassi with the vanilla yogurt. I served it for dinner on my son's birthday and it was a hit :) Don't worry if you don't get vanilla flavored yogurt or mango puree, you can follow the traditional way.

My way:

In my way it is much easier as you don't have to worry about adding sugar or the yogurt being sour.

Ingredients:
  • Vanilla yogurt - 1 tub
  • Mango puree - 1 Can
  • Water or milk - as needed, for dilution
Steps:
  • Blend the mango puree and vanilla yogurt together. You may have to do it in 2 batches if your blender is small. Its 1:1 ratio (1 cup mango-1cup yogurt)
  • Add a little water and blend to dilute the lassi to you liking.
  • Your done. Enjoy :)
Note: Mango puree already has sugar in it and so does vanilla yogurt, so don't add any sugar. Unless you think you need more after tasting it.

Traditional way:

 Ingredients:
  • Fresh Yogurt (curd)
  • Sweet mango slices or mango puree
  • Milk - if yogurt is sour
  • Sugar, as needed
Steps:
  •  If using mango slices, blend it till it has become a puree.
  • Add yogurt and sugar to it and blend again.
  • Add milk if its sour. and blend again.
  • Again it will be 1:1 ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...